Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: 27 Oct 2004 14:28:02 GMT

Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
> art is a dependency, but it's also likely to be already installed (used
> by gnome..)

GNUstep is not only for systems with Gnome.

> and that's all. I won't call that "too many dependencies" ... only two.

And the fonts and the special configuration and probably other things I've
forgotten. It definitely wasn't as simple as "install libart, install
nfonts" last time I used it and no fix has been described in the changelog.

> > is too unintegrated with X and too
> > flaky to be the default.
> flaky ?

Unstable and breaks in strange ways without debuggable errors.

> >> Hence my remark about the wiki followed by the url.
> > Sorry, someone already referenced the wiki to me. I thought it was you,
> > so I was annoyed to be directed there again. It did not work.
> what did not work ? getting the tgz from alex's page and make install ??

Yes, that didn't work. I remember alex fixing at least one bug and
it still not working. IIRC, I got bored of being told to track CVS,
so I switched to the released back-xlib which worked.