Re: Look and Feel

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:29:27 -0600 (CST)

> Camaelon will have extra overhead -- but it's just because it uses
> pixmap instead of drawing things "by hand" using NSBezierPath et al.
>
> In other words, if you were to implements a new "native" look using
> pixmaps it will be as slow as camaelon.

> As I said, the actual architecture is very close to that with the
> GSDrawFunctions class. Camaelon extends that class and modify widgets
> so they use it, and thoses modifications will hopefully rolled in
> GNUstep in the future. So you'll have a clean separation of the way
> widgets looks -- all the drawing will be in GSDrawFunctions.

So, the interface is currently created using vector paths, if I'm reading
this correctly? How difficult would it be to create a new UI using vectors
instead then? Would that have to happen directly in the -gui code, or is
there a way to make a theming engine that uses vectors instead? That would
be much faster, correct, since we're not relying on pixmaps?

J.