Re: Look and Feel

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: 11 Feb 2005 00:47:57 GMT

Jeremy Tregunna <jtregunna@blurgle.ca> wrote:
> This is nearly impossible to implement satisfactorily (ie., if the
> horizontal menu is 20 pixels high, you need to patch the window manager
> itself to prevent window positions from going into the area the
> verticle menu occupies). [...]

I think that's NET_WM_STRUT but my memory might be playing tricks
on me. Having GNUstep play nicely with the Extended Window Manager
Hints is a good aim.

However, just because it's possible doesn't make it a good idea.
There seems to be something quite comfortable about the menu in
the top corner. One mouse shove to locate and then a slow move
down, like a finger on a restaurant menu, until you select.

I've similar worries about the oft-suggested "let's just
use themes from <otherdesktop>" and "let's update the UIG"
ideas. Please don't, at least not in ways that contradict the
existing feel or UIG.  I'm really sceptical that themes from
the user-hostile desktops are going to fit well.  Maybe the
UIG needs supplements for new things, but it is really nasty
to change the way existing working controls behave.

Both GNOME and KDE have real user interface problems and they
seem to be getting worse or holding steady. With all the good
promotion of GNUstep with LiveCDs and the like, I think we can
look forward to more refugees if we keep a consistent feel.
Sure, GNOME may be more of a work of art, but how much time do
you spend admiring the titlebars and how much time using them?

Please keep GNUstep functioning well in the default setup,
without heavy rendering overheads or fussy arty controls.
There must be enough else to improve first, surely?

--
MJR/slef
Not an official opinion of any group.