Re: Look and Feel

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:27:34 -0800 (PST)

Randi,

--- Randi Joseph <randi@codehalo.com> wrote:

> Seeing how some guys on this shoot down newcomers and any new or
> alternate ideas is disturbing. I can only imagine the amount of bright
> minds that came and left. The crown jewels here are the API and
> language, and I think MANY people will come if the brand is updated.

Indeed.

> As it stands, it appears that the GNUSTEP guys (and gals) are
> preserving some pipe dream that even the NEXT guys abandoned. If this
> is not the case, then perhaps sometimes you would be willing to openly
> vote on some ideas, like some (not necessarily all) of the changes that
> folks like jesse proposed.

If you are speaking in regards to the UI: No one is against the creation of a
new theme for GNUstep.   For me personally, my only concern was how it was
done, not whether it was done or not. :)  My preference is that it be
implemented as a theme in Camaelon.

Themes in GNUstep are a very different beast than in GNOME or KDE.  Typically,
themes override certain portions of the drawing code in GNUstep to achieve a
new look.  GNUstep is a complex piece of work and the creation of a new look
for it is, by no means, a simple task.

> At the same time, I want to say that what you have accomplished as far
> as providing an open implementation is great, has great potential and I
> wont be going anywhere. This is where i'll develop my free
> applications.

Thanks.  That's cool.

> But guys,  please, please, please stay open-minded or at some point we
> may be seeing Slashdot articles like "GNUSTEP: Jobsians or
> Stallmanists?"
>
> Haha.

I would hate to think that simply rejecting or arguing against ideas that don't
make sense is perceived as being "closed-minded."  That is not to say that
recent suggestions dont make sense, I'm speaking in general terms only on this
point.

> -randi

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.