Re: backart - default backend?

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: backart - default backend?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:23:26 +0100

Hey,

On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, at 02:20 PM, MJ Ray wrote:

2. it seemed slower in normal light use - seems like more
anti-aliasing done, but maybe related to failing font searchs;

it is. Although I have found it depends on the videocard/driver/x11. Xlib is fast anyway.

3. it didn't work remotely.
it does, but it works extremely bad performance-wise. Which is understandable since it moves a lot more data around. I have found ou;t that generally gnusteps display system works badly on exported displays, only gtk2 is worse. Scrolling an image on a 10Mbit network and 2 fast computers is unusably slow, even the opening of the window itself is a pain. Using xlib is fast when it comes to menus, but for example price is unusable. OTOH, similar applications that deal with images (even simple XV) work much much faster, often unnoticeably.
GTk1 based Gimp is usable remotely...

With -xlib, I found:
1. I needed to set the string encoding and a font mask, but
then it used my already-installed fonts;
2. it antialiases text once the right default is set;
3. it worked remotely (but I broke it since).

I don't suffer 1. and never used 2. XLib works out of the box on a standard linux system.

What I really ask is, what does art gives me? Let's revert the question :) I don't care for aa... and I know that it handles some image compositing stuff better than xlib. Actually one thing I might perceive as an advantage: the fonts are the same when you export display, this makes a more consistent use. On the other hand there are no fonts essentially, you need to install a second fontset just for it...

The suggested change looks like it asks installers to work
harder, uses more disk space and antialiases things which don't
need it on modern screens. It may be that I've forgotten the
benefits of back-art because I've not used it for some time
and nothing I use really hammers the backend libs.

possibly the same here...

-R