Re: backart - default backend?

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: backart - default backend?
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:46:12 -0500

On Feb 15, 2005, at 8:20 AM, MJ Ray wrote:

Andrew Ruder asked:
Is there really some reason that we are continuing to have the -art
backend *not* be the default backend?

I am still using -xlib because the last time I tried -art, I found:
1. I couldn't get non-Latin1 fonts to work;
2. it seemed slower in normal light use - seems like more
anti-aliasing done, but maybe related to failing font searchs;
3. it didn't work remotely.

I'm also using -xlib, because of the #3, and the lack-of-fonts problem. If there's a way to use X, postscript, etc. system fonts it needs to be made easier and/or part of the -art install process.) (Not that -xlib/fontcacher's font-handling is perfect, BTW.. I think the remote operation issue is also surmountable? Is there any way to autodetect a remote display and disable SHM for that process?

I'm also having some problems with Emacs on -art, which I've posted before, but they seem minor and can hopefully be resolved.