Re: backart - default backend?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: backart - default backend?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:19:23 +0100

Gregory John Casamento wrote:

XLib has major problems with:

1) Font rendering (point sizes)
2) The font panel
3) Drawing to pixel instead of point.   Granted, on most displays these are
close, but it's enough to be a problem.

Could you please explain the problem with the font panel? That's a GUI class and I don't have any idea what the xlib backendmay do differntly here.

I know that we do the font rendering in pixel sizes, which would be easy to change, but is needed because of the third problem in your list. When the rest of the drawing is done in pixels than the text also has to be done in pixels. If this is really annoying for people we should think about scaling all points in the XGViewPointToX like functions using the pixel size of the X server. I must admit that I don't like the idea to much, as X draws best, when you try to draw directly on pixels, but as we are already doing a lot of coordinate conversions things may just not get worse. We should give it a try. At least it would solve the oldest outstanding GNUstep bug report. One problem I see with this is that drawing would be done in point size, whereas window operations are done in pixel size. How does the art backend handle this?

Fred