Re: back online again

From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: back online again
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 22:11:09 -0500

> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>> I'd like to get GNUstep working properly in the 64bit environment
>> ...  it seems to be considerably faster than the 32bit environment
>> on the same machine (I had expected it to be about 20% faster but
>> it seemed more like double the speed when I was compiling).
>
> Do you have an idea why this is? I would expect a 64bit env to be
> quite a bit _slower_ than a 32bit one for regular applications (<2GB
> memory requirement, object oriented) due to the massively higher
> (ptr) memory overhead and load times?

You typically get the win on 64 bit systems of having plenty more
registers, which would lead to fewer memory accesses.

Furthermore, any time you're shuffling around data in memory (bitmaps,
anyone?), shuffling them in bigger pieces should improve efficiency.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html