Re: back online again

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: back online again
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:21:33 +0100

On 15.01.2006, at 00:52, Helge Hess wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
I'd like to get GNUstep working properly in the 64bit environment ...
it seems to be considerably faster than the 32bit environment on the
same machine (I had expected it to be about 20% faster but it seemed
more like double the speed when I was compiling).

Do you have an idea why this is? I would expect a 64bit env to be quite
a bit _slower_ than a 32bit one for regular applications (<2GB memory
requirement, object oriented) due to the massively higher (ptr) memory
overhead and load times?

"quite a bit _slower_ " is probably a bit too pessimistic. Of course there is some potential decrease because of 64bit addresses, caching issues and so on, but there are also advantages, as others already pointed out. As example, when working on Irix I never experienced a noticeable slowdown when using 64bit binaries (32bit vs. 64bit on the same machine).

Do you have concrete numbers which indicate "massively higher (ptr) memory overhead and load times" ?

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert
http://www.nice.ch/~phip