Re: back online again

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: back online again
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:46:37 +0000

> Also note that I know little to nothing about the CPU architectures in
> place, which is why I asked whether someone knows a reason why 64bit
> would be faster except for applications which actually require 64bit
> numbers or pointers.

As someone else pointed out, the amd64 architecture has twice the number
of registers of the 32 bit version, and thats where you get most of
your speedup from. I, like Richard, had the initial impression of the 64
bit environment being "much" faster than 32 bit. But when you get down to
it an actually make measurements then it is only a few percent faster
in reality.

...but it *is* faster, on just about every task I tried.