Re: Windows and GnuStep

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Windows and GnuStep
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 06:58:09 -0800 (PST)

Jiva,

I enjoy nothing more than a good debate.  Since I am the person who wrote the response to the book, I will respond to each one of your points in turn:

1. "GNUstep also allows a developer to compile his/her application with almost no changes under most UNIX operating systems."

This is the absolute truth.   At last count, GNUstep works well on Linux, FreeBSD, Darwin, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, and various other versions of UNIX.   Mac users can certainly deploy thier applications on these operating systems.

"Applications which use Foundation (AKA GNUstep-Base) exclusively are portable to nearly any posix compliant OS, as well as Windows (using Cygwin or MingW). Stephen Kochan briefly covers how to use GNUstep under Windows in his excellent book, "Programming in Objective-C". A windows installer for GNUstep can be found at ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/binaries/windows."

This simply means that base is working on all platforms.  I was careful not to make any claims as to GNUstep's fitness on Windows as, quite frankly, it's not quite there yet.   No dishonesty here.

I guess whether you think this refutation is valid or not depends on your interpretation of the term "cross platform" I believe that the simple fact that GNUstep works on such a wide variety of UNIX platforms provides ample cross platform opportunities for Mac developers seeking other avenues in which to deploy their apps.   I think that it's sad that a potential user *CAN* misread this entry since it clearly states that only foundation is working completely on Windows.

2. I concede on this point.   When the refutation in question was written, Camealon was the official theme engine.  While it still is the official one, I have realized that it is better to have it integrated, since it's not intuitive.   So, yes, we are working on this.

3. I didn't say that ProjectCenter wasn't buggy.  I said that he was being unfair by using unreleased versions of the applications by checking out the CVS versions and expecting them to be stable.  His first line in that GNUstep chapter says "the best way to get the gnustep applications is to checkout from CVS...."  which is totally bogus.

I'm not sure about Gorm crashing when using Camaelon, but which version of Camaelon were you using?  Nicholas Roard (aka rIO) did a demo of Gorm (w/ the StepTalk palette) in which he used Camealon w/ the Nesedah theme and it works just fine.   The latest version of Camaelon is available from the Etoile project, not from the Camealon website.   I very much wish that someone would put the latest version there to avoid confusion.  ProjectCenter is the official "ProjectBuilder" application, not ProjectManager.

When I wrote this particular clarification I was defending Gorm more than anything since I'm it's maintainer.  I should probably have been clearer on this.

In conclusion, I believe that I was being, as you put it, "honest and truthful" about GNUstep's state from my point of view as it is the only point of view I can actually give.   I believe that everyone's mileage varies.

Gregory John Casamento
-- Principal Consultant, Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.