Re: Windows and GnuStep

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Windows and GnuStep
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 20:57:28 +0000

On 3 Feb 2006, at 14:58, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

Jiva,

I enjoy nothing more than a good debate. Since I am the person who wrote the response to the book, I will respond to each one of your points in turn:

1. "GNUstep also allows a developer to compile his/her application with almost no changes under most UNIX operating systems."

This is the absolute truth. At last count, GNUstep works well on Linux, FreeBSD, Darwin, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, and various other versions of UNIX. Mac users can certainly deploy thier applications on these operating systems.

"Applications which use Foundation (AKA GNUstep-Base) exclusively are portable to nearly any posix compliant OS, as well as Windows (using Cygwin or MingW). Stephen Kochan briefly covers how to use GNUstep under Windows in his excellent book, "Programming in Objective-C". A windows installer for GNUstep can be found at ftp:// ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/binaries/windows."

This simply means that base is working on all platforms. I was careful not to make any claims as to GNUstep's fitness on Windows as, quite frankly, it's not quite there yet. No dishonesty here.

I guess whether you think this refutation is valid or not depends on your interpretation of the term "cross platform" I believe that the simple fact that GNUstep works on such a wide variety of UNIX platforms provides ample cross platform opportunities for Mac developers seeking other avenues in which to deploy their apps. I think that it's sad that a potential user *CAN* misread this entry since it clearly states that only foundation is working completely on Windows.

I agree ... it's sad and it's not how I would have read it, but it seems it needs clarification.

Perhaps it's worth saying that while it's perfectly possible to write applications which are portable to windows, at least 90% of applications have been written solely for portability across unix platforms. Also that gui apps on windows do *NOT* have native look and feel and will not do so until someone spends considerable time on developing a windows theme and other windows interoperability features. Also, even though base on windows is easily good enough for commercial applications, it's still not quite up to the standard it is on unix.