Re: Windows and GnuStep

From: Jiva DeVoe
Subject: Re: Windows and GnuStep
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:12:03 -0500

Let's not shoot the messenger here. I think he's got some valid points, if I may summarize in a slightly different way:

1. The GNUstep home page is misleading in it's refutation of the Hillegas book's comments about GNUstep. Clearly, a book about Cocoa programing is referring to GNUstep-gui when it says it does not work well on Windows. The GNUstep perspective that newbie users (the target audience of the page in question) should somehow catch the difference between gui and base is naive. Especially, when the GNUstep home page features pictures about how easy it is to make gui applications. I personally agree that this refutation SHOULD be changed or removed until GNUstep-gui (ie: the whole package) works well on both windows and linux. I think it makes the GNUstep team look bad when a potential new user is disappointed because they misread this entry.

2. Until camaelon, a windows theme, WildMenus, and a couple of other themes become part of the actual core of GNUstep, refutation #3 on the book clarification page also is misleading. I have installed Camaelon myself - it's documentation was poor, and finding any themes was nearly impossible (had to dig around to find the nesedah theme... it was not linked on the home page). Now I know this is being integrated with GNUstep right now. But again, the book clarification page should be changed to reflect not the positive "Oh look! We have themes, this is so wrong!" statement it makes to the more truthful, "Yes, this is true, but we're fixing that."

3. Point 7 on the same page is also incorrect. Project Center is amazingly buggy from both CVS and official releases. There should be no shame in bugs, but let's not lie and pretend it's functional for actual work. I for one don't think it is. There DOES appear to be "Project Manager" which seems a little better, but what's the difference between the two? And which is official? GNUstep is very disorganized with it's tools, and the ones in the main tree are buggy. GORM actually seems to be doing pretty well, but it crashes regularly when using camaelon (or at least it did a month or so ago)... so you see, the conflict here? The page both tells the new users to use this great theme engine, but it also makes our very own tools crash.

Hey, it's true, no one gets paid to do this stuff... but if GNUstep actually wants to be taken seriously... the home page has to be honest and truthful about it's state.