Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:01:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, August 3, 2007 11:21 am, Andreas Höschler wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> As currently I am almost alone working on GNUstep gui
>>> (and back for that matter), it will take some time for these things to
>>> happen.
>>
>> And GNustep is still running after Cocoa.
>
> Featurewise, yes!
>
> But many of the advances of Cocoa/Aqua over GNUstep/Etoile fit into the
> nice to have box and are not absolutely necessary to have for an
> efficient desktop.

GNUstep runs after Cocoa since 8 years.
What does it gain for Open Source users ?
Nothing !

When the Leopard will be there , GNUstep will have 5 years of work,
introducing new bugs, new badly design stuff etc ....

>> With no short term objectives.
>>
>> It is a no way.
>>
>> Congrats to not have give up !
>
> Are you kidding?
>
> In conjunction with legacy stuff from Sun (Sun Ray, SGD,...)
> GNUstep/Etoile is a killer. For my father in law (iMovie, iTunes,...) a
> Mac is exactly the right box.

So keep your Mac.

GNUstep/Etoile will never be a Mac. ( and I hope one day it will be better )

> But have you ever tried to bring Macs to
> enterprises? I have, also successfully. I have also seen Apple dropping
> EOF and Yellow Box from the market, porting WebObjects to Java and then
> back to Objective-C,... Oh my ... ! I can really sleep well now knowing
> that our preferred deployment platform for enterprise applications is
> Solaris/GNUstep/Etoile and whatever Apple does in the near future
> (iPhone, iPod,...), we will be able to deploy our business applications
> on any unix machine on earth (thanks to GNUstep and Etoile). Life is
> great!

Are you using gui or sort of "GNUstep desktop"  ?

IMO, it is foolish to give it to user, specialy in entreprise ( GSWeb is
another beast, and does not use lot of Cococa extension anyway )

Fabien