Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:45:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, August 3, 2007 12:32 pm, Andreas Höschler wrote:
> Hi Fabien,
>

>> GNUstep runs after Cocoa since 8 years.
>> What does it gain for Open Source users?
>> Nothing !
>
> What do you mean by Open Source user? A kid that does not want to pay
> the 80 EUR for a MacOSX license/upgrade. Let the kid stick to a Mac. It
> looks better, works more reliable and allows the kid to learn
> Objective-C in a very pleasant environment. I would love to live in a
> world where all Wintel boxes got replaced by Macs.

So go head with your Mac.
I'm talking about GNUstep here.
I don't care about Mac.
Feel free to use your Mac.

Let those who want something better, something that can run Linux or
FreeBSD. Something that can be fun talk about GNUstep

> But we are living in a real world with companies slowly starting to
> wonder whether using Wintel is really such a good idea, with CEOs
> trying to secure investments in large software projects. These guys (at
> least a few) like the idea of open source, the gurantee that no company
> of the world can drop a product from a market and thus render very
> expensive software aquisitions/developments useless. Now we have Open
> Source combined with the efficiency of OPENSTEP/Objective-C, combined
> with build and run on almost any platform. That is something!

Unusable from a desktop point of view.

> GNUstep/Etoile needs a company with big money like Apple is for Darwin,
> Sun for Open Solaris and Open Office,... that takes care of quality
> management and binary releases every few months. Then it can become
> better or at least close.

bla bla.
Corporate speaking ...

If a company could pay some GNUstep developers that would be great.
But it is not the case, I don't see any company that would do it.

> Of course we are using gui (although no nibs and no gorms,...). Until
> now we used Window Maker, Camaelon, gui, base and a stack of our own
> frameworks to get a usable desktop.

Where can I find your "own frameworks" ?

Fabien