Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: Open URL in NSWorkspace
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 13:26:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Nicolas :)

On Fri, August 3, 2007 1:00 pm, Nicolas Roard wrote:

> Come on... what do you mean it gains nothing ? GNUstep made a lot of
> progresses, it's usable. It's not bug-free, there's also a lot left to
> do, but you can use it to write apps..

> And as a free software users, we are better off with GNUstep existing
> than without, no ?
> So what exactly is your point ?

>From a user point of view, nothing.

GNUstep is still running after Cocoa and still introduce new bugs etc ...
This is pure waste of times / effort.

Who use GNUstep/Etoile/Backbone on the desktop in every day usage ? 5
developpers ?

The most usable application based on GNUstep is GNUMail.
Who post ( even on the GNUstep mailing list ) with GNUMail ?

Why can we/you simply stay at OpenStep with few improvements :
Exemple: Theming, autolayout, remove Archiver by KeyedArchiver, extend
services  (?)

That would be enough for 90% of the applications.

There is so much thing to do !!!!

- Lot of bugs
- Printing from cairo
- Page Layout panel
- Usable Text system
- better usability for controls
- builtin window Manager (?)
- Fully feature Workspace.
..

This would take 1 or 2 years, even with 10 developpers !

For -gui :
Why would you Cocoa compatibility ( porting a "real" Cocoa app is
impossible with real work ) ?
Why would you Win32 compatibility ? ( there is tons of framework that
works better on Win32 )

Adding more code is bad for GNUstep/Etoile ressources ( number of
developpers ). It is getting worse.

Having Etoile and GNUstep separate is already bad IMO.

Please read again your signature.
That just what I'm talking about :))