Re: Themes (again)

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Themes (again)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 18:01:53 +0200

Liam,

On 09/27/13 14:21, Liam Proven wrote:
To this day, I think the default GNUstep theme of restrained greys and
blacks is one of the most distinctive, smart, elegantly restrained
looks in the entire world of GUIs on any and all computers. I think
we'd be mad to throw it away.
rest assured that i will make everything possible to have this theme remain (although it is imperfect in several details). Also i will battle that it will remain the default. I make some small tweaks to the default from time to time.

Others have different opinions though and also, again, others have different uses for GNUstep.

This is why I, the most strenuous defender of the NeXT look, started to make themes and support their existence!

Others might need a theme because their setup is different, because they want to integrate, because they have a different display than yours.

I other words, provided that the default one remains or gets improved, how does the availability of themes impact and disturbs you? if you don't need them, don't use them!
But if there are themes that other people like, what's bad about it?
It may attract new uses, new apps, new developers which will help to improve the environment even for you, using the "classic" theme.

*What are your concerns?*

When I was young and foolish, I installed themes on my Mac classic. Usually, they lasted one day and I often went to a default look (or actually, a theme closely to the default). However I liked the freedom to play with them. Sometimes it is just about to "know" that there is some freedom that makes you happy, even if you don't exploit it.

Riccardo