Re: Portable toolchain

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Portable toolchain
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:50:34 +0100

Hi,

On 11/26/13 20:37, Kevin Ingwersen wrote:
Hello hello! ^^

First, hey to everyone, I have just joined. I’m a Mac OS X user and my coding
usually lands in PHP, however, I really like C++ and also the concept of
ObjC++. And that brought me here.

So, at school, we have coding class as well. But we only do Java and such -
because the teachers have the books for C, but they couldn’t find a portable
toolchain. So here at home, I installed GNUstep and everything else into a USB
drive. I will see if that will work tomorrow as well when I plug it into a
friend’s computer and see if appending the bin-paths will work.
What do you mean by a "portable" "toolchain"? a setup you can mount a computer and use? Or a way to compile from one computer for another target?

I suppose you are talking about windows from what you write below?

I have an external hard-drive. I defined it to mount to a scarcely used letter (e.g. H, G... lower letters are used by the system, higher letters by network drives usually). I used my personal computer to install there.

The installed system is now runnable everywhere, provided that you mount the drive in the same place, but you can control that on windows! So I can use this drive on my computer at work, at a friends, etc. Nothing inside the host system is needed.

I can compile and run programs, develop, etc.

I then made a script to "package" everything inside a big blob that is then position-independent to quickly package a specific application, without requiring to install the GS packages
Not space-efficient

But what I had to do was, granting admin privileges…and we don’t have these at
school, obviously. Also one has to install three different .exe installers,
although it just makes up one system - why? Wouldn’t it be better if there was
one installer, so users wouldn’t mix up the paths during installation?
Well, it is not that hard to install separte exe's. You might need developer tools, you might not! You might only want the runtime...

Another thing I need a portable version for is a project of mine called drag0n.
Its front end is a package manager which is soley based off PHP 5.5.3. But it
can do MUCH more. Another thing that was yet always annoying was to obtain
compilers. Especially with microsoft. I had to install about 10GB of junk just
to get told that I selected the wrong version, because I was falsely advertised
by Microsoft - horray!…not.
So in that case, I would be re-distributing GNUstep, if it can be made
portable, alongside drag0n in order to supply a working toolchain.
You are citing a lot of stuff together... however, you can package an app in two ways: 1) make another "windows" installer, so a end-usercan isntall the window packages (runtime only, no developer tools) and your app and you can easily update the application separately
2) package everything in a self-contained blob.

Besides. GNUstep is an awesome project! :)
Thanks. It is, nice that someone else recognizes it :) :)

Riccardo