Portable toolchain

From: Kevin Ingwersen
Subject: Portable toolchain
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:37:00 +0100

Hello hello! ^^

First, hey to everyone, I have just joined. I’m a Mac OS X user and my coding
usually lands in PHP, however, I really like C++ and also the concept of
ObjC++. And that brought me here.

So, at school, we have coding class as well. But we only do Java and such -
because the teachers have the books for C, but they couldn’t find a portable
toolchain. So here at home, I installed GNUstep and everything else into a USB
drive. I will see if that will work tomorrow as well when I plug it into a
friend’s computer and see if appending the bin-paths will work.

But what I had to do was, granting admin privileges…and we don’t have these at
school, obviously. Also one has to install three different .exe installers,
although it just makes up one system - why? Wouldn’t it be better if there was
one installer, so users wouldn’t mix up the paths during installation?

But what I originally wanted to ask is: is it possible to create a portable
toolchain.
I know that GCC looks for its files in a relative manner. So what does GNUstep
add - except for the libraries, frameworks and headers - that would make it
non-portable? And how can one create a truely portable version of it?

Another thing I need a portable version for is a project of mine called drag0n.
Its front end is a package manager which is soley based off PHP 5.5.3. But it
can do MUCH more. Another thing that was yet always annoying was to obtain
compilers. Especially with microsoft. I had to install about 10GB of junk just
to get told that I selected the wrong version, because I was falsely advertised
by Microsoft - horray!…not.
So in that case, I would be re-distributing GNUstep, if it can be made
portable, alongside drag0n in order to supply a working toolchain.

Besides. GNUstep is an awesome project! :)

Kind regards,
Kevin Ingwersen.