Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 13:09:03 +0100

Hi,

Nikolaus already replied... but

Liam Proven wrote:
On 27 October 2014 00:28, Riccardo Mottola<riccardo.mottola@libero.it>  wrote:

>Other applications to get a more complete environment you can pick among the
>two major desktop projects, GAP and Etoilé,
What is this GAP? I've not heard of it.

ouch, that hurts! As one of the core developers in GAP! Being not known is a problem!

http://gap.nongnu.org

Don't you see the App release announcements? Many come from here.

Short for "GNUstep Application Project" it is the home of many applications and frameworks either Freshly developed or ported. It is also the place where many existing applications that were unmaintained and where bitrotting found a home and get at least some maintenance and bugfix care.

It is not really a "complete DE" and Etoile has for now more comprehensive (and perhaps more radical) goals, but we are a small team and try to keep up with the applications and tools first.

Riccardo

PS: for the sake of completeness, there is a third project involved in enhancing your desktop experience: Backbone. I forgot to mention it because it follows the philosophy of continuous development (=get your stuff from SVN/GIT) and did not release or announce anything since a long time. I don't know in which state it is. http://www.nongnu.org/backbone/
Actually, for this reason GAP has its copy of Terminal.app for now.