Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?

From: Asiga Nael
Subject: Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 21:04:29 +0000

On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:35 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Well, me, I would say 1 of 2 ways offers potential.
>
> [1] run it on Ubuntu and put up with the weird Linux FHS. That way you
> get a solid, widely- and well-supported OS
>
> [2] Get involved, help get GNUstep running on Gobo, and get a
> sensible, readable, understandable filesystem hierarchy with clean
> separation between packages and versions, but it's going to require
> work to get it to ready-for-prime-time.

Btw, nobody suggested Darwin. It's open-source, and AFAIK it supports fat
binaries natively (I don't think fat binaries are an OSX addition, they must be
in Darwin already). Maybe it can even mount DMGs natively (I don't know if DMG
are a Darwin or an OSX thing). Regarding app bundles, that's a desktop thing,
not an OS thing, so that can be done from GNUstep. So, I tend to believe Darwin
with GNUstep would have every feature I wish to have in my everyday OS.

And, btw, PureDarwin, which seems to be an easy-to-install Darwin distribution,
supports MacPorts natively. Given that GNUstep is supported in MacPorts, this
means maybe you can have Darwin+GNUstep working today (there're GNUstep
screenshots at the PureDarwin website).

Is there any reason for being cautious about Darwin?

asiga