Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 15:56:51 -0700

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 2:39 PM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2014, at 21:04, Asiga Nael <asiganael@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Regarding app bundles, that's a desktop thing, not an OS thing, so that can
>> be done from GNUstep.
>
> Well, kind of.  To really do it properly, you also want framework bundles,
> and that requires some rtld patching to allow looking for libraries in the
> correct place (not just lib/*.so, but following the symlinks inside the
> framework bundles).  GNUstep implements framework bundles in a fairly hacky
> way.

In theory its possible to do without changing some rtld implementations
(glibc almost, and solaris definitely) by using an rtld-audit library,
glibc's rtld needs to be extended to support DT_DEPAUDIT I have a
patch somewhere for this if someone really wants to take a go at it...

then you can throw the framework support inside a dynamically loaded
shared lib...

there is this here i threw together a number of years ago, not sure if
it all still compiles

https://gitorious.org/framework-plugin-4gcc