Re: Cacao Linux - GNUstep based Linux distribution

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: Cacao Linux - GNUstep based Linux distribution
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 23:14:57 +0300

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 12:49 PM Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 01:17, Sergii Stoian <stoyan255@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gregory,
>
> I didn't quite catch what's Cacao Linux different from NEXTSPACE (https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace)?
> Do you plan to include some special frameworks, applications? Is it just Debian specific GNUstep build?

That's a good question.

You are the author/creator of NEXTSPACE, is that right?
I am.

Correct me if I am wrong -- my impressions were that:

* it's only partly based on GNUstep and includes non-GNUstep stuff
that merely cosmetically resembles NeXTstep?
GNUstep libraries, libdispatch, libobjc2 and  build toolchain. Non-GNUstep is my code, NeXTstep graphics (icons, login panel). I hope someday it will be refreshed with new graphics with the NeXT's style.
What do you mean "cosmetically"? Icons? Yes. Look and feel? Yes. But it is much more than just look - that's why I need integration with underlying system (look below my CentOS explanations) and spend a lot of time to fill Workspace and applications with uniform, solid user experience (window management, startup, shutdown, keyboard shortcuts, mouse preferences, screen and display management). More to come.

* you're forking GNUstep and changing it
Not literally forking but current development is based on some outdated GNUstep libraries with some patches. Patches are aimed to be included in GNUstep later.
The main reason is to have some stable base code and focus on applications and environment. Right now I'm the only developer and do not have time to align my code with changing GNUstep.
After I reach the version 1.0 (it's really close now) I plan to return to GNUstep libraries (I have patches more ideas not implemented yet for GNUstep: screnn resolution handling, high DPI and so on).

* it's fairly closely tied to CentOS and not intended to be distro-portable?
Not that much. It's integrated with some system libraries and tools: Xorg (Xkb, XRandR), D-Bus, NetworkManager, PulseAudio, UDisks, UPower. It's not CentOS specific nowadays.
I want the NEXTSPACE will be Operating System for users and developers.

Saying that, I think you have done a much better job of explaining on
your Github page what you're working on and why.
I hope so. And Gregory's kickstarter page quite confusing for that matter.

Email: lproven@cix.co.uk - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven@gmail.com