Re: Building 64-bit on Windows

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Building 64-bit on Windows
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 00:30:07 +0100

Hi,

Sam Izzo wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I had seen some posts in the archives of the mailing list that made it sound like it was possible but I guess based on what you and David have written it's currently not possible to generate a 64-bit executable/DLL. I think for our project we'll have to go down the more painful path which is to convert all the Obj-C code to C#!

well, before jumping to conclusions.... since rewriting everything sounds like a lot of work.

Do you really need libobjc2 or is your code fine with GCC runtime?
Would it be easier to convert it to GNU runtime instead of rewriting it?

Second, do you really need 64bit?

the
supplied installer works and is "proven". It is relatively easily to update some of its dependencies and then upgrade gnustep core "in place" and get a current gnustep installation. I was unable to repackage this work, otherwise I would have distributed it.

I have read here that people got gnustep to run on MinGW64 - there were some earlier post and commits. I Attempted but failed, the issue might be on my side. I haven't thrown the towel, but unfortunately even if there is demand for GNUstep on windows, I'm almost alone there, so don't hold your breath, you would choke.

Cheers,

Riccardo