Re: [DotGNU]MacOS package

From: Oscar Papel
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]MacOS package
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:43:26 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ole Guldberg Jensen" <address@hidden>
To: "Oscar Papel" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Maciek Plewa" <address@hidden>; "Gopal V" <address@hidden>; "Andrew Revvo" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 9:29 AM

Oscar Papel wrote:
| This just redirects you to the Darwinports page for the pnet port.
| He specifically mentioned that darwinports would not work for him.
|
| I think he is looking for a mac friendly pnet.pkg

eeeh, i have used darwinports on macosx 10.3.5 to make the old dmgs,
they work on macosx !

anyhow, i have made new ones (pnet* 0.6.8 treecc 0.3.2, libjit 0.0.4),

Darwinports is the farthest thing from the Mac way of doing things, at least from a software distribution stage. The Original Poster just wants an official link and a binary build so that he can point his users at if and when installation is needed. This is so that there are no license violations. Specifically, the clause about source code availability. Since it is a shared component, it doesn't make sense to build your own. There should be a standard build installed into a standard location (and /opt/local is NOT a standard Mac directory). The typical Mac user doesn't want to have to use Darwinports, XCode/gcc, or even a Terminal window in order to do an install.

Most shared libraries are installed in /Library/Framework as a framework.
Frameworks can hold multiple versions of pnet so this isn't an issue.
By having a common location, we can manage and share pnet between products.

I do encourage people to use darwinports insted of the dmgs - i seems to
forget to update the dmgs.

pnet will never make significant inroads on the Mac front if we ignore or belittle their standards. They just won't even give it a second look if it's not "Mac" enough.

I know everyone here is a volunteer and I appreciate all the hard work.
I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
I'm just trying to make the Mac a great platform for pnet.

Oscar