[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity best practices?

From: Benjamin Montgomery
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity best practices?
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:04:07 -0500

I'm wondering if folks on this list would be willing to share
information on their use of Duplicity.  I'm interested in what are the
best practices for a routine backup system.

I'm currently using Duplicity to back up files from my home network to
Amazon S3.  I have a shell script that runs every night and backs up
selected directories from my file server.  I run Duplicity in the mode
where it creates incremental backups or a full backup if no backups
exist.

I recently noticed that after a few months of this I started getting
errors concerning GPG being unable to read some of the signature files.
I was able to fix this by running a new full backup and then removing
the old incremental backup files.

All of that is making me wonder what is the best way to maintain my
backup directory on S3.  Should I run a full backup at some regular
interval and remove old incremental backups?  Is it OK to run
incremental backups indefinitely?  How are you scheduling your backups?

Any info would be appreciated!

Ben