Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Duplicity best practices?

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Duplicity best practices?
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:00:54 +0100

> What is the recommended volume size for S3?  We might also want to
> consider adding this to Ian's FAQ.

The only limit specific to S3 is the upper bound of 5 GB, which is a
limited of the S3 service itself.

As for recommendation - that likely depends on your situation. My rule
of thumb that I use ~ 250 MB or so is something I apply to S3 aswell.

Probably the primary factor would be the quality and speed of the
internet connection and/or the path to the destination. The point is
to keep the number of volumes managable (especially if backing up to a
remote location with a file system that does not scale well with many
files in the same directory) while keeping the cost of transfer
failures down (i.e., how much are you willing to re-transmit as a
result of a transfer failure?).

In my case, ~ 250 MB has been pretty useful when backing up things on
the order of 10-100 GB.

I think the interesting bit to put i a FAQ might be the trade-offs one
is making, rather than recommending any particular size.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden