[Duplicity-talk] Rollup Functionality and Parity?

From: Colin Ryan
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Rollup Functionality and Parity?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:59:26 -0400

In thinking about the uses of duplicity, I'm always concerned about the trade off between having to do the occasional large full backup verus "infinite incrementals". I see the "infinite incremental" approach as the dirty little secret of the hosted storage business where no-one seems to acknowledge the sensitivity of this technique to the corruption of even a single bit in a single file.

My concern about the latter is should even one incremental in the chain become corrupt everything from that point on (I assume) is unrecoverable. So I was wondering if there is any technique that could be used to "periodically" roll up the incrementals on the remote respository side into a full to create an "new single full" which contains all the incrementals, but that would allow duplicity to simply continue on with incremental backups on the client end. This would simply - for what it's worth - reduce the number of files that must be 100% intact but would allow one to always run duplicity in just incremental mode while periodically generating a full.

As a side note has anyone put any thought to using Par2 parity files on the tar files that duplicity generates. Yes this would increase the back end storage but would allow for recoverability of the file provided data corruption was 5-10-20% of the file.

Not sure I've explained my thoughts clearly but...