Re: [Duplicity-talk] Rollup Functionality and Parity?

From: Colin Ryan
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Rollup Functionality and Parity?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:53:50 -0400

Done locally would still require some programming on the duplicity side,
but it would indeed be possible to take the current full, merge in all
the incrementals and build a new full.  This would be equivalent to
doing a new full and would not have any advantage that I can see.

I was proposing that the "locally" in this case would be local to the duplicity backend i.e. the remote system to which duplicity is sending data, so the advantage in theory would be that fulls are being generated local to the repository and don't need to be sent over the slow Internet wire from the source of the files.

Most files are not changed between full backups.  The incremental could
be rolled up a lot faster, leaving only the last full and the rolled up
incremental.

Ahh that is an interesting thought.

Thanks for your feedback Ken.
...Ken