Re: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: Re: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:03:57 +0200

On 15.9.09 address@hidden wrote:
> As far as I understand in this case the integrity is implicitly checked.
> Because if something would have changed in the backup data the
> tar/gz/gpg pipeline would choke and tell you that your data is damaged.
> Unfortunately until now there is no way to tell duplicity to skip the
> defective part.
>
> Still. I still suggest a integrity check command.
>
> @Ken .. the following questions still open :)
> Are these checksums of the source files in the backup or the backup chunks?
> Does the the integrity checking make sense at all (use case slow up/fast
> download)?

Wouldn't signing the tar.gpg chunks give you perfect integrity checking? What
would be interesting to see if there is some measure to do md5 checks without
downloading. It does not appear to be possible with all backends but some
(rsync for sure) should support it. However, if you have full ssh access, you
could even do gpg checks on the remote (assuming you trust the server to do so
faithfully).