Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 23:05:02 +0200

Yes but once you go about downloading the whole thing, verifying it against
actual files is essentially free anyway. So maybe some option to run a remote

not if the data is on another machine anyway or changed so much inbetween that you end up with a list of verify errors, you are not even remotely interested in plus the time for actually comparing the data. All you want to know is: is the backup data intact, from this point of view a totally different task.

gpg --verify "not quite as dumb" remote backup space is really all we'd need?

Then a little script is all you need. But doing it remotely is totally not duplicity from my point of view. Why? Because if I use encryption for my backup, then I don't trust the backup space. If I don't trust the backup space then I don't decrypt my data there or create/check hashes there that somebody might tamper with and gives me the illusion of security while my data is already gone.

But I see that someone might trade security against traffic if the connection is very slow. I simply wouldn't do large backups with a line that slim, but that's me.

so far .. ede