Re: [Duplicity-talk] Attempt 4 failed: Error: Not a directory

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Attempt 4 failed: Error: Not a directory
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 15:39:42 +0200

On 06.04.2015 16:00, Thomas Prost wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 05.04.2015, 23:06 +0200 schrieb address@hidden:
>> On 03.04.2015 17:51, Thomas Prost wrote:
>>> Am Freitag, den 08.06.2012, 16:02 +0200 schrieb address@hidden:
>
>>> Hi Ede, you are right. My first attempts were a little confused.
>>> Simpler is better, so I changed it to --> command below
>>>
>>> but nevertheless --> output below
>>>
>>> duplicity --no-encryption file:////media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen
>>> /media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test
>>>
>>> Import of duplicity.backends.sshbackend Failed: No module named
>>> paramiko
>>>
>>> Lokale und entfernte Metadaten sind bereits synchron, keine
>>> Synchronisierung benötigt.
>>>
>>> Letzte vollständige Sicherung: Thu Feb  9 13:44:45 2012
>>>
>>> Fehler '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
>>> '/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test/home'' beim Verarbeiten von .
>>> Fehler '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
>>> '/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test'' beim Verarbeiten von .
>>>
> (...)
>
>> duplicity --no-encryption file:////media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen
>> /media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test/
>>
>> note the trailing slash. does that work? duplicity is not supposed to
>> overwrite anything ever.
>>
>> are you planning to use backups w/o encryption?
>>
>> ..ede/duply.net
>
> That was my first experience:
> Import of duplicity.backends.sshbackend Failed: No module named paramiko
> Wiederherstellungs-Zeilverzeichnis /media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test
> existiert bereits.
> Wird nicht überschrieben.
>
> So I decided to let Duplicity create the directory instead of using an
> existing one. That was easy :-)
>

> I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that then Duplicity obviously did
> what I expected: It created 5 files with full path in my test-dir.
>
> address@hidden:/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test$ find . -name "*"
> .
> ./home
> ./home/thomas
> ./home/thomas/Dokumente
> ./home/thomas/Dokumente/1.pdf
> ./home/thomas/Dokumente/Thomas.Prost.vcf
> ./home/thomas/Dokumente/RG934842228.pdf
> ./home/thomas/Dokumente/EDV-Geschichte.pdf
> ./home/thomas/Dokumente/Programmierkurs1_1.ppt
>
> I was only wondering why it regardless the fine result does tell me:
>
>      1. Import of duplicity.backends.sshbackend Failed: No module named
>         paramiko

just a warning, should be fixed in later releases. see changelog

>      2. Fehler '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
>         '/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test/home'' beim Verarbeiten
>         von .
>      3. Fehler '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
>         '/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test'' beim Verarbeiten von .

both are duplicity trying to restore owner and permissions of your
files/folders. changing owner requires to be root, so it fails.

> Errors 2 and 3 might result from something that I hadn't expected.
> Is there a simple explanation for this (empty) directory in the
> snapshot ? ;-)

you mean in the listing below? probably for saving owner/perms for for the
snapshot dir. did you backup '/' including '/home' excluding '**' ?

> Must this be precluded while backing up ?
>
> address@hidden:/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen$ tar -tzvf *difftar.gz
> drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-02-02 12:04 snapshot/./
> drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-02-02 08:02 snapshot/home/
> drwxr-xr-x thomas/thomas     0 2012-02-09 12:50 snapshot/home/thomas/
> (aso aso aso ...)
>
> But why is Duplicity whinging about paramiko ?

see above. for details check the fix. tldr; on registration backends sometimes
import python packages that are only needed later, if the backend was selected.
a typical oversight in new or modified backends. non-critical in case you
didn't use the complaining backend.

> I guess why you ask about unencrypted backups: I suspect you want to
> point out that there are simpler tools for it than Duplicity or DejaDup.
> But DejaDup came with my first distro. In between, I also have realized
> this, but I already had made an important first backup with DejaDup -
> whereupon the disk broke promptly.
> So I must at least learn so much about Duplicity that I can restore the
> data.

good luck.. ede/duply.net