Re: [Duplicity-talk] Attempt 4 failed: Error: Not a directory

From: Thomas Prost
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Attempt 4 failed: Error: Not a directory
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 16:00:30 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 05.04.2015, 23:06 +0200 schrieb address@hidden:
> On 03.04.2015 17:51, Thomas Prost wrote:
> > Am Freitag, den 08.06.2012, 16:02 +0200 schrieb address@hidden:

> > Hi Ede, you are right. My first attempts were a little confused.
> > Simpler is better, so I changed it to --> command below
> >
> > but nevertheless --> output below
> >
> > duplicity --no-encryption file:////media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen
> > /media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test
> >
> > Import of duplicity.backends.sshbackend Failed: No module named
> > paramiko
> >
> > Lokale und entfernte Metadaten sind bereits synchron, keine
> > Synchronisierung benötigt.
> >
> > Letzte vollständige Sicherung: Thu Feb  9 13:44:45 2012
> >
> > Fehler '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
> > '/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test/home'' beim Verarbeiten von .
> > Fehler '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
> > '/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test'' beim Verarbeiten von .

(...)

> duplicity --no-encryption file:////media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen
> /media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test/
>
> note the trailing slash. does that work? duplicity is not supposed to
> overwrite anything ever.
>
> are you planning to use backups w/o encryption?
>
> ..ede/duply.net

That was my first experience:
Import of duplicity.backends.sshbackend Failed: No module named paramiko
Wiederherstellungs-Zeilverzeichnis /media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test
existiert bereits.
Wird nicht überschrieben.

So I decided to let Duplicity create the directory instead of using an
existing one. That was easy :-)

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that then Duplicity obviously did
what I expected: It created 5 files with full path in my test-dir.

address@hidden:/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test$ find . -name "*"
.
./home
./home/thomas
./home/thomas/Dokumente
./home/thomas/Dokumente/1.pdf
./home/thomas/Dokumente/Thomas.Prost.vcf
./home/thomas/Dokumente/RG934842228.pdf
./home/thomas/Dokumente/EDV-Geschichte.pdf
./home/thomas/Dokumente/Programmierkurs1_1.ppt

I was only wondering why it regardless the fine result does tell me:

     1. Import of duplicity.backends.sshbackend Failed: No module named
        paramiko
     2. Fehler '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
        '/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test/home'' beim Verarbeiten
        von .
     3. Fehler '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
        '/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen/test'' beim Verarbeiten von .

Errors 2 and 3 might result from something that I hadn't expected.
Is there a simple explanation for this (empty) directory in the
snapshot ? ;-)
Must this be precluded while backing up ?

address@hidden:/media/sdb/home/thomas/Vorlagen$ tar -tzvf *difftar.gz
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-02-02 12:04 snapshot/./
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2012-02-02 08:02 snapshot/home/
drwxr-xr-x thomas/thomas     0 2012-02-09 12:50 snapshot/home/thomas/
(aso aso aso ...)

But why is Duplicity whinging about paramiko ?

I guess why you ask about unencrypted backups: I suspect you want to
point out that there are simpler tools for it than Duplicity or DejaDup.
But DejaDup came with my first distro. In between, I also have realized
this, but I already had made an important first backup with DejaDup -
whereupon the disk broke promptly.
So I must at least learn so much about Duplicity that I can restore the
data.
--
Best,
Thomas