dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] dvdrecord, "write track data: error"

From: Chris Szilagyi
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] dvdrecord, "write track data: error"
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:44:06 -0500

Arndt Schoenewald wrote:

> Hi Chris!
>
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:35:12PM -0500, Chris Szilagyi wrote:
> > I was wondering if anybody knows of a solution to a problem when
> > dvdrecord reports errors such as "Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment
> > 0" and "write track data: error after 4176304128 bytes".  We are writing
> > data DVD's that have a high number of little files placed within 40
> > folders or so (120,000 total files) per disc.  All have worked fine
> > except for one disc where we get this error every time.  We are first
> > writing the ISO image, then burning that straight to disc on an external
> > USB burner (LaCie burner but is actually a Pioneer DVR-A04 drive).   The
> > entire output from dvdrecord on the problematic disc is included below.
> > Thanks for all help!
>
> My guess is that your drive has problems writing to the "outer rim" of
> the discs, perhaps because your DVD-R media are of lesser quality.
>
> I suggest you try a different brand of DVD-R media. You could also try
> to write the disk with a lower speed (I don't know whether dvdrecord
> honors the "speed" parameter, but cdrecord-prodvd certainly does).
>
> Please let us know what you find out!

I'm using Verbatim media, which I have been told is pretty good.  Also, we
have burned several other discs that do succeed, that are actually larger than
the one that fails.  And, we've had the same one fail twice so I am pretty
sure the media is fine.  It almost seems as if it is related to the content
being written to the disc, but the ISO image is created successfully and seems
to be ok.  One thing we do have that is a little different, is that there is
one folder that has approx. 12,000 files in it.  But we were not aware of any
problems with high numbers of files up to this point.  Unfortunately we cannot
change the structure of the folders because it is for a client.

If anybody knows of any problems with a high number of files in folders,
please let me know.

I will be sure to post the solution if I find one.

Thanks!
--
Chris