Re: [emacs-bidi] editing hebrew latex

From: Tzafrir Cohen
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] editing hebrew latex
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:18:41 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> > Basically heblatex uses some sort of explicit bidi algorithm. One existing
> > text editor that implments this "algorithm" quite well is he2
> > (http://he2.sf.net/) .
> >
> > Has anybody tried implementing this with emacs?
>
> I don't know what he2 does and don't have time to look, sorry.So
> could you please tell in a few words what is ``explicit bidi
> algorithm'', and how does he2 implement it?I cannot answer your
> question without knowing that.

A bit f document may look like this (assuming main language is Hebrew,
and rtl is CAPITALS)

SOME RTL TEXT \L{some embedded text}.

\begin{otherlanguage}{english}

  in this environment i can write l2r text, and then \R{RTL TEXT NEEDS TO
  BE EMBEDDED}

\end{otherlanguage}
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Problematic issues (besides getting this working):

* What is the base direction?

* There are also macros \sethebrew and \unsethebrew

> > The editor I currently use is vim . Vim does not have a real bidi support,
> > but it has a poor-man's bidi support: it can reverse the whole buffer.
> > When the buffer is reversed I can view hebrew text properly (but not
> > english text or macros, which appear reversed).
> >
> > Has anybody tried implementing this?
>
> There's hebeng by Ehud Karni which does that (actually, it does much
> better, I think).

Could you please give me a URL?

Anyway, from a quick search it seems like this is intended for editing
visual-hebrew text, which is not what I need.

Thanks

--
Tzafrir Cohen                        /"\
mailto:address@hidden        \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign