Re: [emacs-bidi] editing hebrew latex

From: Tzafrir Cohen
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] editing hebrew latex
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 13:57:45 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> > A bit f document may look like this (assuming main language is Hebrew,
> > and rtl is CAPITALS)
> >

> > SOME RTL TEXT \L{some embedded text}.
> >
> > \begin{otherlanguage}{english}
> >
> > in this environment i can write l2r text, and then \R{RTL TEXT NEEDS TO
> > BE EMBEDDED}
> >
> > \end{otherlanguage}
> > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> Thanks for the explanations.
>
> One question: in what order is the text inside the \R{} written--in
> the logical or in visual order?

Basically everything is logical. You can consider \R{SOME TEXT} as
<LRO>SOME TEXT<PDF>

> > * What is the base direction?
>
> Why not do what UAX#9 says, i.e. look at the first strong directional
> character in each paragraph?

Well, heblatex uses an explicit bidi algorithm  (rather than an implicit,
like unicode's) because it makes the software-author's life much simpler
(not the user's , though).

I am aware of the problem of conversion between heblatex and unicode
text (in terms of the bidi algorithm).

> > * There are also macros \sethebrew and \unsethebrew
>
> What do they do, and why is that a problem?

\sethebrew sets RTL direction and Hebrew charset. \unsethebrew sets LTR
direction and english charset.

The problem with them is that they break the tree-hirarchy.

> > Anyway, from a quick search it seems like this is intended for editing
> > visual-hebrew text, which is not what I need.
>
> Reversing a buffer (or any part thereof) is a trivial exercise in Lisp.
> But I think what you want is reversed display, not one-time reversal.

Yes. I was hoping that revrseing the whole display of the buffer would
avoid many issues such as visual selection.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:address@hidden