Re: [emacs-bidi] editing hebrew latex

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] editing hebrew latex
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 11:55:09 +0200

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:18:41 +0200 (IST), Tzafrir Cohen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >
> > There's hebeng by Ehud Karni which does that (actually, it does much
> > better, I think).
> >

> Could you please give me a URL?

;; The updated package can be got by email:
;;   Send email to:    address@hidden
;;   Subject: "files" (one word, no quotes).
;;   1st line of the content: "hebeng.el.gz" (one word, no quotes).
;;   The file will be then automatically sent to the reply address.

> Anyway, from a quick search it seems like this is intended for editing
> visual-hebrew text, which is not what I need.

You are right, it is intended for visual Hebrew. But you can use
some functions included in this package for your purposes:

`invert-string'    "Invert STRING (right-left) of any length"
and its derivatives: `invert-line' `invert-all-lines'

`winvert-string'   "Invert STRING (right-left for Hebrew MS Windows) of any
length. The steps taken are according to Unicode TR9 (implicit bidi)
Optional NO-REP - do not replace with value from `hebrew-english-bidi-rep'.
Optional Sspc   - change Shift Space (0xA0) to space (0x20)
Assume reading direction according to `right2left-on': nil-L2R else R2L."
and its derivatives: `winvert-line' `winvert-all-lines'

`winvert-encode-string'
"Invert STRING (encode it for Hebrew MS Windows) of any length.
use the LTR (0xFD) for forcing break of Hebrew (R2L) substring.
Assume reading direction according to `right2left-on': nil-L2R else R2L."
and its derivatives: `winvert-encode-line' `winvert-encode-all-lines'

This version of hebeng.el works with mule (emacs 21).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign