Re: New Mac OS Changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New Mac OS Changes
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:41:52 +0200

> From: Andrew Choi <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:53:19 +0800
>
> The Mac Roman encoding is a distinct (i.e., non-standard) character
> encoding used by Apple.  It includes characters from a number of
> European languages and its own special symbols (e.g., the Apple logo,
> the command key symbol, etc).  It does not seem to map one-to-one to
> any of the existing character sets (unlike the DOS codepages).

Please note that the DOS codepages also do not have 1:1 correspondence
to the character sets supported by Emacs.  We simply lose the
characters that are not known to Emacs; we decided that this is not a
terribly high price for avoiding a huge Pandora box that's open by
defining an additional character set, and one that overlaps other
character sets on top of that.