Re: ill-advised changes [was key bindings in hideshow.el]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ill-advised changes [was key bindings in hideshow.el]
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:29:23 -0700 (MST)

    This is also just a proposal for a new notion.  The list I included in
    my previous email was for all programs I could find that had a folding
    or outlining capability as meat to a conversation on the topic of what
    it means to fold, overview, or summarize a buffer under diverse
    conditions.

It is an idea worth considering, as regards the use of M-o.

    Example: If a base folding/summarizing/overview library was concocted,
    would RMAIL use it?  Would an RMAIL like interface with a separate
    summary buffer be useful for a C file?

Probably not.  RMAIL is rather specialized.  But that is an
implementation issue, which is separate from the question of how
to use M-o.

    Example: In C, a base folding library may hide function bodies (like
    hide-show).  Would that same code be useful in RMAIL or Gnus in hiding
    quoted text?

Likewise.