Re: euro symbol

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: euro symbol
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:54:49 +0200

> From: Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:01:52 +0200
>
>    > Also: is it reasonable to assume the latin-9 character set as a default
>    > for the Italian (or any European) language environment?  Isn't it safer
>    > to assume latin-1?
>
>    I don't know what is the best default for Italian.  However, please
>    note that by setting LANG to something like it.iso8859-15, a user
>    tells Emacs to use Latin-9 rather than the default.  (At least that's
>    how this is supposed to work; I didn't try.)
>
> My question was referring to the case when I define a new language
> environment for Italian.  In that case, one would say in .emacs:
>
> (set-language-environment "Italian")

Right; but if LANG is set to something appropriate, Emacs calls
set-language-environment automatically for you.

> and the rest would come along automatically, including the fonts to be
> used.  If this is correct, then setting language to Italian would be a
> problem in those places where a latin-9 font does not exist.

If you define Italian to use latin-9 by default, people who don't have
latin-9 installed will have problems.  But they can still set LANG to
it.iso8859-1 to force Emacs use latin-1 instead of latin-9, I think.