Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wild

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards)
Date: 28 Nov 2001 23:16:30 -0500

> One issue in url-setup-file-name-handlers is how to reconcile it with the
> minibuffer feature that you can ignore the default directory and enter
> absolute file name.  If the default is ~/foo/, and you enter
> http://www.gnu.org/, the result is ~/foo/http://www.gnu.org/.  It looks
> difficult to ignore ~/foo/ in that case.
>
> What can be done?

The regular expression actually looks like /?[-a-zA-Z0-9+.]+: so that you
could put /http://www.gnu.org/ in there in that case.  But I made some
changes this morning to remove that - it seems a bit cleaner.  Maybe if
there was a simple way to erase everything in the file prompt people could
just know not to expect this behaviour when using URLs?

We could do something like have a generic /URL: prefix, but that
seems... unpleasant.  /URL:http://www.gnu.org/?

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam