Re: Emacs and GTK.

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: Emacs and GTK.
Date: 04 Dec 2001 10:59:31 -0500

>     In GTK 2.0, the GDK layer has undergone a pretty thorough rewrite to
>     better support other window systems.  All the MS-Windows, BeOS,
>     MacOS, frame-buffer, and X-Windows drawing code is isolated in GDK
>     and it has been made much harder to get at the underlying
>     window-system objects (like a `Display *' or a 'Window' from the GTK
>     objects.
>
> Is it annoying but doable, or impossible?

Annoying, but doable and unclean.  I would prefer not to see time spent on
an implementation like that when a native GTK port would not be much more
difficult (20%?).  But I'll still help as much as I can, whichever way
people want to do it.

If we do a native GTK port, then you could theoretically run Emacs on a
linux tty and get all the graphical goodness, which would be very cool. :)

-bp
--
Ceterum censeo vi esse delendam