Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 02:01:56 +0200

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:29:42 -0800 (PST)
>
> > I've implemented it, but it's not installed, partly _because_ people
> > may not end up with the coding they expect.  I haven't yet tried to
> > check compatibility properly.
>
> I think it's reasonable to use this kind of approach, but I suggest
> deferring it for a major release, not a bugfix release, as it will
> take some time to check compatibility.

The changes for which this addition is useful are installed only on
the development trunk, and bugfix releases will not be produced from
that.

> > I didn't hear a good reason for maintaining the exclusion in 21.1.
>
> Sorry, I had forgotten about the issue until now, or I would have
> suggested removing the exclusion earlier.

I think the decision to leave it disabled in v21.1 was correct, since
the application code, written by Dave, to make that support reasonably
complete was only recently added to the CVS tree.  Without those
Dave's additions, turning on the UTF support by default would screw
users.  I believe some of those who tried to do that with stock Emacs
21.1 complained about problems on gnu.emacs.bug, the same kind of
problems whose anticipation was the reason for leaving UTF disabled in
the last release.