Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: decode_eol and inconsistent EOL
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 07:49:34 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Are we sure that Mac users (where a single CR is the EOL character)
>     won't object this?
>
> Is there a reason why a Mac file would have LFs after some of the CRs?

No more than a Windows file would have a stray CR, I guess.

Basically, we are talking about two possible classes of cases here:

  - binary files

  - text files produced by broken programs

In the first case, what Emacs does now is the Right Thing.

In the second case, which was Stephen's problem, a broken program can
produce stray LFs on a Mac as much as it can produce a stray CR on
Windows.

But I don't use the Mac, so perhaps such problems don't exist there.
Andrew, could you please advise?  Thanks.