Re: Insert Euro symbol

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Insert Euro symbol
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 13:41:20 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?=)
> Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 11:52:43 +0200
>
> So I would like to have a method which starts with a key which is
> normally not self-inserting.  And C-x 8 just came to mind as an
> example.  It doesn't have to be C-x 8.

In that case, may I suggest adding an input method whose key sequences
start with keys that aren't self-inserting?  Since Leim is nowadays
part of Emacs, I don't see a reason to have ways of typing characters
that circumvent Leim.

> Incidentally, I think it might be nice to be able to insert named
> characters.  So the user hits a key, then types, say "LATIN CAPITAL
> LETTER A WITH OGONEK" (with completion), and then that character is
> inserted.

I agree.  However, this is not a kind of a facility that could support
fast typing, as names of many characters begin the same (so even with
completion you'll need to type quite a bit before it's unambiguated).
I believe Miles wanted a solution that facilitates fast typing.