Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 07:48:28 +0300 (IDT)

On 6 May 2002 address@hidden wrote:

> I want a "novice" level of customization where a new emacs user can
> quickly get an overview of the various features offered by emacs -
> preferably just with one option per package ... and preferably
> not more complex than it can be shown in a single 24x80 window.

I think you are talking about two different features.  One is what _I_
call a ``novice'' customization level: a command that lets the user
customize a relatively short list of the most popular options.  If the
decision is that we don't want to put them on menu-bar's Options, then
some variety of Customize is the logical alternative.

The other feature is some way of getting a summary of the optional
features and being able to browse them.  That sounds a lot like top-level
Customize groups, perhaps flattened to some extent, doesn't it?  The one
option per package goal seems an impossible one--just pick up any Emacs
package and try to decide what would be that single option you will
show.  I'm unable to do that, FWIW: too many are useful.