Re: kill ring menu

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 07 May 2002 00:03:59 -0400

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 15:32, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I don't think so.  I expect there are many users like me who find
> Font-Lock mode strange and/or slow in programs, and thus do not turn
> it on, but appreciate the fontification of some special buffers.

I don't know how to respond to font-lock being "strange", but if it is
slow (and I haven't had that perception), then I think we should regard
that as an optimization problem, not a reason to change the user
interface.

> I don't want to turn that off.

You could quite easily turn it back on:

(add-hook 'occur-mode-hook 'font-lock-mode)

That could even be the default.  And if resource consumption is a
problem, then we should be able to trim down font-lock.el such that if a
mode implements its own `font-lock-fontify-region' function, all the
regexp and other machinery wouldn't be loaded.

Honestly I really don't understand the objections to this.