Re: Fringes again

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Fringes again
Date: 25 May 2002 01:00:15 +0200

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> >> I have one remaining question: How do you find out the default fringe
> >> width?  Right now it is hard coded to 10.
> >
> > I thought (without having looked at the code) it was 8 pixels rounded
> > up to a multiple of the width of a character in the default font.

Actually, the default is to take 2x8 = 16 pixels and find the minimum
number of characters in the default font that is at least 16 pixels wide,
and then distribute that space evenly between the two fringes.

Suppose the default font width is 6 pixels.  This needs 3 characters =
18 pixels to hold the fringes => 9 pixels for each fringe.

If an odd number of pixels are allocated, the extra pixel is
added to the right fringe.

> Right, but how do you programmatically calculate that?

Something like

(/ (* (/ (+ (* 2 8) (frame-char-width) -1)
         (frame-char-width))
      (frame-char-width))
   2)