Re: Building emacs with and without X -- packaging question.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Building emacs with and without X -- packaging question.
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:47:18 -0600 (MDT)

    I've bootstrapped HEAD on Windows and on a RedHat 7.2, I've extracted
    the symbols from each (text between \x1F and \x0A), sorted the lists and
    compared them. There are 193 differences.

I can see why there might be many differences between Windows and GNU|Unix.
Different makefiles are used on those two systems.

We have tried to make sure that DOC is the same on all Unix-like
systems and regardless of options used.  Someone just found a bug in
that, but the fix was simple.  Keeping DOC the same on these systems
is worth doing.

Making DOC be the same on Windows as on Unix-like systems is possible,
but it will be somewhat more work, and more costly in a way.  Is it
important to do this?  Are there users that want to share the DOC file
between Windows machines and GNU-like systems?