Re: Emacs appears to hang

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs appears to hang
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:12:45 +0200

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:56:28 +0000 (UTC), "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Today's CVS snapshot, Thu, 2002 Jul 18  11:4 UTC,
> GNU Emacs 21.3.50.113 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
> with patch to xdisp.c from address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> and a 143,044 byte .emacs file that likely also changes Emacs.

I'm on Windows 2K, using also the latest CVS snapshot, though my .emacs
is only 59,663 bytes long ;-)

> I just spent several hours of heavy editing while using using the new
> patch and have not seen the problem that Lektu mentions.  Emacs has
> been working fine for me.

With Kim's first patch the redisplay bug that affected redrawing after
backspace deleting, etc. has disappeared.

The second bug (the fist, really, as it started to happen earlier) is
not as severe as the other because it doesn't show very often. In
particular, I can do heavy editing for hours and not see it.

The only way to show it that I know is what I've reported: bring up NEWS,
activate ruler-mode and scroll down. Once the cursor reaches the bottom
line, the redisplay starts to behave incorrectly. In all cases, if you
do <down> and the display is garbled, after three or so seconds of
inactivity a new redisplay happens and all is apparently well.

Definitively the bug is still here.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u